What do we do?
This is a free and confidential service available to families who care for children under the age of 5 years living in and Harlesden and Stonebridge. The service is designed to provide practical, solution focused support, which delivers better outcomes for children and families.
We understand that while family life is fun and enjoyable it can also be challenging when difficult circumstances arise. At such times, parents need and deserve support.
What do we assist with?
Children with developmental delay
Liaise and refer to relevant services
(This is not a full list of the support offered)
Who do we help?
Parents to be
Families with children under 5 years of age
Families with disabilities
Who can refer?
Other relevant professionals
Our aim is to provide holistic support to local children and their families. This will include:
- Support to assess your individual and family situation to see what is working well and the areas where you want to see improvement. This will help us to establish a tailored support package on e.g., behaviour management, play and stimulation etc
- Information and support over the phone and face to face
- Visiting families in their homes
- Linking families to appropriate services for financial and legal matters
- Support group services
- Facilitating evidenced based parenting programmes (e.g. providing advice, support and training on parenting issues)
See Diagrams 1-3 below, for the process used to support families.
What are Evidence based Parenting Programmes?
Evidence-based parenting programmes are those that have been clinically researched and delivered in community settings to a range of parents with various needs. When evaluated, the strategies have been shown to improve outcomes for families.
There are a variety of evidence based programmes but the effectiveness of any parent training programme will be dependent upon finding a model that is appropriate for your family and following it accurately.
At Fawood and Curzon Crescent Children’s Centre’s we offer a variety of these programmes. Below is a brief outline of the programmes delivered across the centres:
Triple P is an 8 week course that supports you to:
Create a stable, supportive, harmonious family environment
Teach your children the skills they need to get along with others
Deal positively, consistently and decisively with problem behaviour
Encourage behaviour you like
Develop realistic expectations of your children and yourself
Take care of yourself as a parent
What is family support?
We understand that while family life is fun and enjoyable it can also be challenging when difficult circumstances arise. Family support provides a flexible package that focuses on the strengths and needs of the whole family
Mellow Parenting Programme
Mellow parenting is a 12 week course supporting parents to make changes in their Relationships with their children and gain confidence in managing Behaviour positively.
The programme has been shown to improve:
- Parent child interaction
- Child behaviour problems
- Parents well being
- Parents effectiveness and confidence in parenting
Incredible Years Programme
This is a 14 week programme for parents and carers with children 3-6 years old that focuses on promoting your child’s social and emotional competence and ways for you to help your child be successful at school. It will do this by looking at:
- How to help your child learn to manage emotions, make friends and cope with peer problems.
- How to work with your child’s teachers to promote social and academic success.
- How to promote your child’s school readiness through interactive reading and child directed play coaching.
- How to teach social skills to a child who is fearful and shy as well as a child who is hyperactive, impulsive and inattentive.
- This is a 12 week programme for three hours per week. It is a culturally sensitive programme that addresses positive discipline, enhancing relationships, community involvement and Violence against the self and others. It targets families with children age 3-18 years old. It is designed to assist parents and children in developing strong ethnic, cultural, family and spiritual roots, a positive parent-child relationship, and life skills necessary for functioning in today’s society.